[Al Ahram] The BBC admitted on Saturday it faced a "crisis of trust" after being forced to apologise for wrongly implicating a politician in child sex abuse, just weeks after the Jimmy Savile scandal broke.
The British public broadcaster suspended all investigations by its flagship current affairs programme Newsnight after it alleged that a senior Conservative party figure repeatedly abused a teenage resident of a children's home in the 1970s.
Although the Newsnight programme did not identify the politician in last week's report, former Conservative treasurer Alistair McAlpine was widely named on social networking sites as the alleged perpetrator.
McAlpine publicly denied the claims on Friday -- and hours later his accuser, Steve Messham, a former resident of the Bryn Estyn children's home in Wales, said McAlpine was not his abuser and had been a victim of mistaken identity.
"We should not have put out a film that was so fundamentally wrong. What happened here is completely unacceptable. In my view the film should not have gone out," BBC Director-General George Entwistle told BBC radio on Saturday.
He said he had not been aware of the programme until it had gone out, but said it was signed off by lawyers and senior management.
He confirmed he had suspended all Newsnight investigations and had asked for a review into what had happened to be on his desk by Sunday.
Closing Friday's edition of the programme, anchor Eddie Mair summed up the grim mood with the sign-off: "Newsnight will be back on Monday. Probably."
Entwistle said it would be "absolutely disproportionate" to consider closing down the 32-year-old programme.
But he admitted the damage the latest row had caused the corporation as it came on the heels of allegations that Savile, one of the BBC's top presenters before his death last year, sexually abused hundreds of children over a 40-year period.
"This is a bad crisis of trust," Entwistle said, while adding: "It would be absolutely wrong to slur by extension the rest of the amazing work that is going on across the rest of BBC News."
The BBC has already launched three investigations into the Savile scandal, including one into why Newsnight shelved an investigation into some of the claims against Savile last December.
"During a question-and-answer session, Broadwell was asked about this year┬'s Sept. 11 attacks against the U.S. mission in Benghazi.
She stated: ┬"Now I don┬'t know if a lot of you heard this, but the CIA annex had actually had taken a couple of Libya militia members prisoner. And they think that the attack on the consulate was an effort to try to get these prisoners back. So that┬'s still being vetted.┬"
The existence of a U.S. prison or CIA detention center in Benghazi would be a new development in the debate surrounding the attacks there.
I did not know this. One more possible complication to this story.
[AFP] Denmark said Saturday it would scrap a fat tax it introduced a little over a year ago in a world first, saying the measure was costly and failed to change Danes' eating habits.
"The fat tax and the extension of the chocolate tax -- the so-called sugar tax -- has been criticised for increasing prices for consumers, increasing companies' administrative costs and putting Danish jobs at risk," the Danish tax ministry said in a statement.
"At the same time it is believed that the fat tax has, to a lesser extent, contributed to Danes travelling across the border to make purchases," it added.
"Against this background, the government and the (far-left) Red Green Party have agreed to abolish the fat tax and cancel the planned sugar tax," the ministry said.
Denmark's centre-left minority government is made up of the Social Democrats, Social Liberals and Socialist People's Party, and requires support from other parties to pass legislation in parliament.
The government and the Red Greens reached the agreement as part of their negotiations on the 2013 budget bill.
The previous right-wing government introduced the fat tax in October 2011 to limit the population's intake of fatty foods.
[Atlanta.CBSLocal] A new study finds that people who live close to a bar tend to drink more.
A group of Finnish researchers collected data from nearly 55,000 participants from 2000 to 2009. The study found that heavy and extreme drinking occurred when people lived about a half-mile away from the bar.
The Boston Globe reports that the chances a person will drink too much jumped to 17 percent living near a bar.
Conversely, the farther away a participant was from the bar, the less likely they would be heavy drinkers.
I love New Orleans.... only place where you can politely ask a cop to hold your beer while you tie your shoes. But yeah, there's something to the argument. I love New Orleans, yeah it's 9 am on Sunday, is there a 2 for one?
the end of the article tells you much of what you need to know about Chicago
"...Despite the complaints, the mayor┬'s office said the job fair was a success, and another would be held next year."
Posted by: lord garth ||
Normally I'd be in full agreement with your sentiment, Darth. But - Mr. Booker's evident sense of entitlement aside - the folks who came to this "city job fair" appear to have damn good reason to be frustrated:
About 3,000 people lined up for the city┬'s first-ever jobs fair on Friday ┬-- some of them waiting in line for up to six hours ┬-- hoping to apply for work with the city, but many left frustrated after learning the only way to apply for a job was to go online.
Anthony Rodgers was the first person in line at Kennedy-King College on Friday, showing up at 3 a.m. for a job fair that didn┬'t open until 9 a.m. By the time it started, a line of people hoping to land a job with the city, or one of its sister agencies, had snaked around the block.
┬"I need a job. I need a job, that┬'s the bottom line. ┬... The best way to get a job? Be there before your employer┬'s there,┬" Rodgers said.
His goal was the same as everyone else in line ┬-- to get a job. But many said the job fair wasn┬'t what they were expecting ┬-- a chance to sit down and apply for or interview for a job, not simply meet a few city officials and be told they had to apply online.
Not all of the folks there have the proverbial "liberal view of work." Look at Anthony Rodgers' quote from above..."The best way to get a job? Be there before your employer┬'s there." I've never, ever seen a job fair where you didn't at least have the opportunity to start the application process for something that looked promising. They stood in line in cold-ass Chicago weather for hours, only to find out it was a mainly a grip-and-grin session with Godfather Rahmbo, some other city-machine mooks, and of course the media.
Posted by: Ricky bin Ricardo (Abu Babaloo) ||
This wasn't a job fair - it was a photo op for Rahmbo, meant to grease his path to the White House. All too amusing...
"Rahmbo in 2016" > I dunno - a fellow Restaurant patron here on Guam believes that as a closet Marxist or Commie, perhaps even closet Islamo-Communist, that Obama may attempt to stay on as POTUS after 2016.
We both knew that Perts believe the US-World economy will likely remain bad for a long time to come, which IMO is being done deliberately to covertly justify OWG + OWG-focused "Global Federal Unions" e.g. NAU, EU, ... @etc. NOTHING FOSTERS STATE INTER-DEPENDENCY, "SHARING", + "COMMUNAL/COMMUNITARIANISM" THAN SHARED/COMMON CHAOS + CATASTROPHISM, ETC. CORRECT???
Anyhoo, I told my fellow patron that it would take a act of Congress to de facto suspend the normal POTUS electoral process as due to the occurrence of major war, e.g. US-Iran or China-Japan [US-China]; andor major natural disaster e.g. Solar Storm or Asteroid, etc. Either one, solely or in parallel, could easily devol oer time into a MAJOR WAR INVOL MOST OR ALL OF THE WORLD'S NUCLEAR POWERS. A China-Japan shooting war oer the Senkakus can easily devol into another SINO-INDIAN MAINLAND WAR SAVE THIS TIME WID NUKES. As per the Great Depression, however protractive a bad econ by itself is unlikely to result in a formal suspension of the POTUS electoral process.
MANILA: Canada and the Philippines signed a deal yesterday to help Manila buy military equipment to defend its territory, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Filipino President Benigno Aquino said.
The Philippine defense department and state-run Canadian Commercial Corp. signed the agreement as Harper met Aquino at Malacanang Palace in Manila, the two leaders announced at a joint news conference. The deal was inked amid a territorial dispute between the Philippines and China over islands and waters in the South China Sea.
"This memorandum of understanding will enable the Philippines to acquire the equipment and expertise it needs to fulfil the country's defense and security agenda," Harper said.
Under the deal, Filipino purchases of equipment and expertise from Canada's $12.6 billion (US$12.6 billion) defense industry are guaranteed by the Ottawa government, according to a Canadian government statement.
"This will help us in our efforts to build our defense and security capabilities," Aquino said, declining to elaborate. "I cannot go into specifics lest they be observed by less friendly individuals."
I can say no more!
Faced with insurgencies and an increasingly assertive China, Aquino noted that the military had just two transport aircraft, no fighter jets and just 132 mainly World War II-era ships.
"The fundamental issue is that we have a lot of outmoded equipment," he said.
Buying new equipment is one thing, knowing how to use it is another...
A multi-volume chronology and reference guide set detailing three years of the Mexican Drug War between 2010 and 2012.
Rantburg.com and borderlandbeat.com correspondent and author Chris Covert presents his first non-fiction work detailing
the drug and gang related violence in Mexico.
Chris gives us Mexican press dispatches of drug and gang war violence
over three years, presented in a multi volume set intended to chronicle the death, violence and mayhem which has
dominated Mexico for six years.