Railway tracks bombed in eight Sindh districts
KARACHI: Separatists on Saturday targeted the railway track using low-intensity explosive devices in eight districts of Sindh, affecting the movement of trains for hours. No loss of life was, however, reported.
Irshad Baig, a spokesman for Pakistan Railways, told Daily Times that at least 13 small blasts were reported on the railway line in different areas, including Bin Qasim, Karachi, Hyderabad, Jamshoro and Sukkur. The track in Karachi’s Bin Qasim area was targeted at two separate locations. Officials from the Bomb Disposal Squad said that two low-intensity bombs of less than 100 grammes had been used in the Bin Qasim attack. The train service from Karachi was restored within three hours after the blasts.
The officials said the blasts in other districts were more intense than that of Karachi’s. Law enforcement agencies rushed to the spot and found a letter written by the Sindhu Desh Liberation Army from near the blast site. The organisation says it aims to secure the rights of Sindhis and calls for an autonomous status for Sindh. Police sources said the outfit has claimed responsibility for all the blasts, adding that the group said the Balochistan issue was being taken up both nationally and internationally whereas “we are also a deprived and suppressed nation”. “The struggle… will not be stopped until the independence of Sindh,” the communiqué read.
Posted by: Steve White