Reports of Malaysian terrorist's death may have been exaggerated
terrorist militant with a $5 million bounty on his head survived a recent Philippines air strike, a Malaysian counter-terror official said on Friday, despite the government's claims to the contrary. Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay, deputy head of the Malaysian police force's counter-terrorism unit, said, "We believe Zulkifli Bin Abdul Hir, alias Marwan, is still alive."
Zulkifli, a radical
terrorist militant, is "badly, badly wounded" and hiding on the southern Philippine island of Jolo, he said. He cited Malaysian intelligence but would not give further details.
Last month the Philippines military said three of Southeast Asia's most-wanted terror suspects were killed in the raid on Jolo, which was backed by US intelligence. It said the dead included Zulkifli, who was trained as an engineer in the United States and is suspected of providing bomb-making expetise to Southeast Asian terror groups.
The military has not yet released proof of the kill. Authorities claim that the bodies were taken away by fellow
terrorists militants and quickly buried according to Muslim custom.
Military spokesman Colonel Arnuflo Burgos said the armed forces were waiting for the results of DNA tests, but added, "We still maintain that, based on reliable sources on the ground, (Zulkifli)" and the other
terrorists militants were killed.
Posted by: ryuge