Security Sources: Freed Egyptian Prisoners Behind Sinai Attack
[Ma'an] Egyptian security officials told Ma'an on Saturday that several of those involved in an attack on a border post with Israel earlier this month are Jihadis who had been recently released from prison by the Egyptian president.
The sources also said forensic authorities have determined the identities of some of the seven assailants who were killed by the Israeli army during the assault on Aug. 5 -- and can confirm that at least three of them are Egyptians.
Two are from Rafah and Sheikh Zuwaid in the Sinai peninsula, and the third -- who had recently been released -- is from Mersa Matruh in northern Egypt, they said.
Another three people security forces say were involved in the attack had been released by President Muhammad Mursi 45 days before it took place, the sources said.
They named them as Mahmoud Abdullah, 35, seized from Naja Shabana village a few days after the attack, and Abu Al-Miqdadm Abu Khalid and Abu Abdullah who were killed in the same military operation.
| How terribly clever of him, to be sure. What message d'you suppose Allah meant to send by allowing the Egyptian troops to be murdered as they sat at table to break their Ramadan fast?|
Another two bodies who died in the Naja Shabana operation could not be identified.
After they were released from custody by Mursi they headed to the Sinai peninsula to join Jihadi groups launching the attack, which left 16 Egyptian border guards dead, the sources said.
There are 16 people still on a wanted list for involvement who are from Rafah and Sheikh Zuwaid. They are under observation but cannot be captured as they are hiding among Sinai civilians, the security officials said.
Posted by: trailing wife