Department store bombing blow to southern Thai economy
A bomb explosion and ensuing fire at the largest shopping mall in Narathiwat province has raised concerns about a renewed attempt to undermine the local economy.
Damages were estimated at 60 million baht following a bomb attack at Super Department Store in Muang district's municipal area. It also caused 200 workers to lose their jobs. The bombing happened in an area authorities had declared a "safe zone".
The store and its branches in Thailand's three southernmost provinces have been the targets of 17 bomb and arson attacks since 2004 when
terrorist insurgent violence broke out up the region. Waraporn Sirichai, deputy managing director of the store, said, "The entire family was on their knees when we got a phone call from our staff on Friday. We all screamed, 'Not again.'"
Ms Waraporn said she had examined the fire-gutted building and said the goods were almost completely destroyed. She called on the government to provide prompt compensation.
She said, "I really have no idea what kind of compensation will be offered. I want them to act fast. We have employees to take care of."
Pol Col Satanfah Wamasingh, investigating superintendent at Muang police station, said Friday's bombing is likely to be the work of the same group that plotted a coordinated series of bombings last year that killed seven people. He said that it was very likely that the attackers disguised themselves as customers and planted the bomb.
Thakoengsak Yoksiri, fire chief of Muang district, said the building was almost completely destroyed.
The blast topped off multiple
terrorist insurgent activities in the restive South on Friday which were seen as a way to mark the 50th anniversary of Malaysia's independence and the anniversary of the founding of the Bersatu separatist movement.
National Security Council secretary Wichean Potephosree insisted that intelligence operations had not failed. Authorities had learned that
terrorist insurgent acts would happen, but did not know what form they would take.
He said security operations in the safety zones were better integrated but were constrained by a shortage of personnel. Pol Gen Wichean said the NSC is still pursuing its policy of holding peace talks but that the process has been "stalled from time to time".