Mayhem in Monterrey: 13 busted in shooting
For a map, click here. For a map of Nuevo Leon state, click here. For a map of Monterrey city, click here.
By Chris Covert
A total of 13 unidentified individuals were detained by Mexican security forces in Monterrey Friday afternoon following a shooting, according to Mexican news accounts.
A news report which appeared in the web edition of El Diario de Coahuila news daily said that the shooting began when six plainclothes members of Nuevo Leon Fuerza Civil were on surveillance duty in their parked Nissan Versa near the Loz-Mar communication store near the intersection of avenida Federico Gomez and Revolucion in Buenos Aires colony.
About ten shots were fired at the vehicle. The driver attempted to drive off, but instead crashed the car into a Dodge Charger sedan parked nearby. When the officers tried to flee the scene, guards with the store detained them, brought them into the store and commenced beating them. In the meantime, officers had apparently called for backup, bringing Mexican Army, Fuerza Civil and Policia Estatal road patrols converging on the scene.
Detained in the incident were the four armed guards, eight store employees and one female.
A total of six individuals were killed in ongoing drug and gang related violence in and around Monterrey, according to several dispatches posted on the website of Milenio news daily.
- An unidentified man in his 30s was found shot to death near Escobedo municipality early Saturday morning. The victim was found just after midnight near avenida Manuel L Barragan, shot nine times including one shot in the head. The the feet of the victim had been bound. A number of rifles were also found near the body.
- An unidentified man in his 30s was found shot to death in San Nicholas de los Garza municipality early Saturday morning. The victim was found near the intersection of calles Barranca and Vereda in the La Enramada colony, shot in the back three times with a 9mm weapon as he tried to flee the attack.
- A man wanted by Mexican police for murder was found dead in Salinas Victoria municipality Friday. The victim was identified as Jesus Eduardo Reyes Garcia AKA El Gomaz, 21, who was wanted for a series of murders and kidnappings in south Monterrey and around Allende. Although the body was in an advanced state of decomposition, it was determined he had been shot with an AR-15 assault rifle. Reyes Garcia was associated with the criminal groups allegedly involved in the murders of Carlos and Raul Fortino Sergio de la Garza last May near Allende.
- An unidentified man was found shot to death early Saturday morning in Apodaca municipality. The victim was found near the intersection of calles Tala and Estado de Jalisco in Noria norte colony. The victim had been decapitated. The head was found in a nearby pay phone booth. The victim had reportedly been kidnapped some time before.
- An unidentified individual was killed in a series of shootings and car crashes in San Nicholas de las Garza municipality early Saturday morning. At around 0100 hrs, police responded to calls from Estancia Minera colony, where an apparent intergang shootout was taking place. The report fails to identify how the victim died, or if the victim was even involved in the shootings. The report does note the victim was found on avenida Romulo Garza and then transported to a local hospital where the victim died.
- An unidentfied man in his 30s was found by police shot to death early Saturday morning in Apodaca municipality. The victim was found near the intersection of calles de Garza Garcia and Iturbide near Zona Centro of the municipality, shot once in the head. The report said the victim had been mugged.
Chris Covert writes Mexican Drug War and national political news for Rantburg.com
Posted by: badanov