Girl loses stomach after drinking cocktail containing liquid nitrogen
A teenage girl has undergone emergency surgery after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen.
Gaby Scanlon was celebrating her 18th birthday with friends in Lancaster city centre when she had the drink at Oscars wine bar on Thursday night.
Police said she had her stomach removed afterwards in an urgent operation thought to have saved her life.
Miss Scanlon, from the nearby village of Heysham, had reported feeling breathless and then developed severe stomach pain after drinking the cocktail.
She was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary at about 11pm, diagnosed with a perforated stomach and underwent emergency surgery to remove it, Lancashire Constabulary said.
The teenager was said to be in a serious but stable condition afterwards, and was apparently well enough last night to write on Twitter: "Maybe stay off the liquid nitrogen' is not a f------------ funny thing to say to me." She also tweeted: "I nearly died."
|The premises involved have fully cooperated with all agencies and have suspended the serving of drinks involving liquid nitrogen." |
A police front man said: "The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts.
The premises involved have fully cooperated with all agencies and have suspended the serving of drinks involving liquid nitrogen."
Posted by: Fred