State Dept Official: Libya warnings 'went to the top'
A top State Department official acknowledged Thursday that cables warning of serious security concerns at the U.S. compound in Benghazi went to department headquarters and possibly to the Secretary of States office in the months leading up to the deadly Sept. 11 attack.
Deputy Secretary of State Williams Burns, testifying before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said the cables would have been reviewed up through the assistant secretary level, and it may be that some of my colleagues on the seventh floor saw them as well. The seventh floor refers to Hillary Clintons office. Further, Burns confirmed there were certainly memos that came to Clintons office describing some of the dozens of security incidents in the region before the attack.
Deputy Secretary of State Thomas Nides and Burns told the committee that the State Department had already begun to fix the serious, systemic problems identified in a blistering report that pointed to gross mismanagement at the State Department over their handling of the Benghazi incident. Burns and Nides testified in place of Clinton, who is recovering from a stomach virus and concussion. Clinton had been scheduled to testify Thursday but canceled.
Posted by: Pappy 2012-12-21