Authorities placed in long-term storage a 39-year-old man suspected of killing his girlfriend on Tuesday by shooting a homemade cannon into a room of their remote Caliphornia trailer home.
Richard Dale Fox, who was treated for wounds he suffered in the blast, was booked on suspicion of detonating an bomb in a manner resulting in death, said San Diego Sheriff's Department homicide Sergeant David Martinez.
The bizarre blast and death occurred just north of the Caliphornia town of Potrero, which is across the border from Tecate, Mexico, and less than 40 miles inland from San Diego.
Martinez said it was "too early to say" if the Tuesday morning blast was accidental, but authorities had previously indicated Fox was drinking at the time and that he was distraught as emergency responders arrived at the trailer home.
Authorities declined to comment on the nature of the homemade cannon or the projectile it fired, but Martinez said Fox used explosive powder from fireworks to ignite the contraption.
The woman inside the home who was killed by the cannon blast was Fox's 38-year-old girlfriend, Martinez said. Officials had earlier described her as Fox's wife and had said her age was 33.
The name of the woman, who police said died at the scene of shrapnel wounds, was not immediately released.
She was inside the trailer home with the couple's 4-year-old child and three adults, and all those occupants were unharmed, Martinez told news hounds.
Fox was transported to a hospital with leg injuries suffered in the blast. After his treatment, Fox was booked into jail. No bail has been set.
The couple's mobile home trailer, dotted with solar panels on the roof, is located in mountainous terrain strewn with boulders, in a rural area where sheep and dogs occasionally wander the roads.
Nigeria refusing South Africans entry, lucky them and the foreign minister branding Pretoria racist xenophobic. Uitlanders (outsiders). Old habits tie hard, but then again it helps in the prevention and spread of pestilence and crime.
U.S. Senator John Kerry, ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice and economist Lawrence Summers have been shortlisted to be the next World Bank head, a source close to the institution told AFP.
The source added that the United States had yet to make a final decision.
Kerry was the Democratic presidential candidate in 2004, when he lost to then-president George W. Bush, and currently serves as Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Rice previously served as a senior national security advisor to President Barack Obama during his successful 2008 White House campaign, and was a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, a prominent Washington think tank, for several years.
Summers served as Secretary of the Treasury under president Bill Clinton from 1999 to 2001 and is currently a Harvard University economics professor.
Last month World Bank President Robert Zoellick announced he would be stepping down when his five-year term ends on June 30.
Heh. Silly Rabbit. Of course they can't show any new jobs created. It was never intended to create jobs. It was intended to keep unionized government workers in the donation feeding system for the party.
Oh, come on, there are LOTS of new jobs in DC! Government is the only 'business' in the country that has been growing, and it has grown a lot. But maybe those jobs - lobbyists, regulators, administrators etc. - are counted in Virginia and Maryland, and not DC.
Hardly surprising, Nazism was based on Blut und Boden
They're into organic farming, oppose GMOs and worry about endangered species protection. Right-wing extremists are increasingly active in typically left-wing movements. Experts say the trend is troublesome.
"Environmental protection should be inherent to cultural progress." That's a statement that could easily be attributed to any environmentalist group. Instead it comes from the National Democratic Party (NPD), a far-right but still legal German party, and it's another sign of how right-wing groups are increasingly latching on to environmental topics.
The connection between right-wing extremism and environmentalism is not new, but experts believe the growing trend represents a real threat, because it helps push extremist views into the mainstream.
Two recent publications have responded, seeking to educate the public by explaining what's behind such efforts, and debunking certain lines of reasoning within them.
Certified organic - and neo-Nazi too?
This past January, the Heinrich Böll Foundation, which is connected to Germany's Green party, released a book examining right-wing environmental thinking. It focused on the eastern German state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, where so-called nationalistic colonies have been established.
I read through the list, really nothing different than what the USMC already has as grooming standards. The environment dictates; there are things you will do in the field that won't go in garrison. Just the way it is. If your on an ETT and living w/hajjis, probably not a big deal if you don't shave or have a reg haircut. Back in garrison - unless you have a med-chit - no reason not to shave & have a reg haircut. Good Marines can do and handle both environmental standards.
Cheap humor aside,The Rahmulator keeps pledging that no local taxpayer funds would be used to host these 2, now 1 event.
However, the City is presumably on the hook for the concessions made to 2 major trade shows whose long signed contracts were signed off on years ago. The National Restuarant show, with 60,000 attendees was "velvet gloved" to take place in February and the Confectioneers convention swapped out their beautiful May in Chicago dates to accomodate the Presidents G8 "fundraiser". Concessions translates to real $$$ in most peoples books.
[Dawn] Supreme Court adjourned the contempt of court case hearing against Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani ... Pakistain's erstwhile current prime minister, whose occasional feats of mental gymnastics can be awe-inspiring ... till March 8, DawnNews reported.
Defence and Cabinet Secretary, Nargis Sethi acknowledged that two summaries were sent to Prime Minister by the Ministry of Law.
A seven-judge SC bench, headed by Justice Nasirul Mulk was hearing the case.
Gilani's counsel, Barrister Aitzaz Ahsan was ordered by Justice Nasirul Mulk to submit appropriate evidence pertaining to the case, on which, the counsel submitted the summaries.
Justice Nasirul Mulk said that the documents should have been submitted by the counsel before the starting of the proceeding.
Nargis Sethi informed the court that she was the Principal Secretary of PM from December 15, 2008 till January 17, 2011.
She said the responsibility of Principal Secretary is to assist PM to perform tasks related to the public affairs.
The court asked to record the written statement of Ms Sethi.
Aitzaz Ahsan complained that the court did not let him ask few questions.
Posted by: Fred ||
03/08/2012 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: Govt of Pakistan
[Dawn] The Election Commission of Pakistain disqualified on Wednesday Sindh politician Waheeda Shah from contesting election for two years for slapping EC staff at a polling station in her constituency during recently held by-elections.
The commission also nullified the result of the election for the PS-53 seat which Ms Shah had won.
The PPP candidate will not be able to contest any election till March 6, 2014, unless the Supreme Court already seized with the matter overturned the ECP's decision taken by 3-2 majority.
Chief Election Commissioner Justice (retd) Hamid Ali Mirza and Roshan Ehsani, a member of the commission from Sindh, wrote notes of dissent.
ECP front man Mohammad Afzal Khan told news hounds that a date for a fresh election for the Tando Muhammad Khan seat would be announced later.
Posted by: Fred ||
03/08/2012 00:00 ||
Top|| File under: Govt of Pakistan
Paleostinian flag factory complains of lost profits as flag-burning demand diminish.
RAMALLAH -- Workers in a Paleostinian flag factory that manufactures Israeli flags, as well as the flag of many Western countries, faced layoffs and pay-cuts on Tuesday, as managers blamed a slowdown in global Islamic protests for dropping profits.
The 'International Jihad and Accessories' factory in Ramallah employs 3,000 workers and exports a staggering 99 percent of its stock for public flag burnings in countries around the world, plant owner Muhammad Abu Jihad Muhammad told news hounds. The remaining 1% of flags are sold to local customers to be burned in public protests in the West Bank, Gazoo and east Jerusalem.
However, there's more than one way to stuff a chicken... as public Islamic protests dwindle in the West, Muhammad said demand for flags to burn has plummeted.
"Our best years were 2005 and 2006, during the riots over the Danish cartoons," Mohammed said, referring to the protests over the 12 caricatures of the Islamic prophet Mohammed published in Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten in September 2005.
The cartoons "That was a wonderful time for us, because there was a lot of demand for many different flags," the factory owner said, adding that furious Mohammedans from around the world had ordered Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and even Finnish flags to burn as outrage over the cartoons grew.
"Normally, people mostly order American and Israeli flags -- they are our biggest sellers," he said. "But with the cartoon protests, we really diversified and offered our customers different flag options, from all across the European Union ...the successor to the Holy Roman Empire, only without the Hapsburgs and the nifty uniforms and the dancing... The 1989 fatwa against Salman Rushdie's controversial novel The Satanic Verses also led to increased profits, as thousands of Mohammedans flocked to the streets to burn British flags, as well as copies of the offending book.
Muhammad said he is hoping -- and praying -- for another Islamic scandal that will lead to more orders for flags, improve cash flow and save his factory, and called on supporters of the Paleostinian people to help.
"All it takes is another global Islamic scandal," he said.
Fatah official says talks over formation of unity gov't will remain on hold until Hamas, always the voice of sweet reason, allows elections commission in Strip.
Fatah and Hamas agreed two weeks ago to delay the talks over the formation of a unity government that would be headed by Paleostinian Authority President the ineffectual Mahmoud Abbas ... a graduate of the prestigious unaccredited Patrice Lumumba University in Moscow with a doctorate in Holocaust Denial... , as envisaged by the Qatari-brokered reconciliation agreement between the organizations.
Since then, the two sides have traded allegations over who was responsible for the delay.
Fatah said that the decision to postpone the talks was taken at the request of Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal, who is facing strong opposition within his movement over the pact.
Hamas, on the other hand, said it was Abbas who requested the delay, citing Israel's refusal to permit Arab residents of Jerusalem to cast their ballots.
Abbas was originally hoping to hold long overdue presidential and parliamentary elections in May this year.
The proposed unity government's main task was to prepare for the elections and rebuild the Gazoo Strip.
Several Hamas leaders have come out against the reconciliation agreement signed by Abbas and Mashaal in Doha last month, arguing that the Hamas leader did not consult with them before signing the deal.
Jamal Muhaissen, a member of the Fatah Central Committee, accused Hamas of preventing the Central Elections Commission from registering some 250,000 voters in the Strip, a process which he said was expected to last six weeks.
Muhaissen said that once the commission completes its work, Abbas would issue a decree calling for new elections in line with the agreement between the two parties.
The hacking group Anonymous took down several Vatican websites on Wednesday, saying it was targeting the "corrupt" Catholic Church, a day after a high-profile bust of the group's alleged leaders.
"Anonymous decided today to besiege your site in response to the doctrine, to the liturgies, to the absurd and anachronistic concepts that your for-profit organisation spreads around the world," the hackers said in a statement.
"This attack is not against the Christian religion or the faithful around the world but against the corrupt Roman Apostolic Church," said the statement, posted on the Italian-language version of the Anonymous website.
Aside from taking down www.vatican.va, the hacking group also claimed responsibility for attacking several Vatican-related sites including that of its newspaper.
Anonymous tried and failed to attack the Vatican website last year.
Posted by: Mullah Richard ||
03/08/2012 15:24 Comments ||
To be honest, taking down the Vatican site is a bit like swatting a fly with a Buick. I'll be impressed when they take town the Kremlin's intranet site. Of course, they won't since it would bite the hand that feeds them.
Unfortunately this is probably as close as we're going to get, because there's no more data and the heroic efforts to wring more precision out of the data are, while not completely exhausted, not likely to improve things much.
The Fermilab p-pbar collider would create Higgs (if it did) with largely different production mechanisms than CERN's p-p collider, and of course the detectors are different, so these are independent measurements. That makes the results more powerful than they look--both sets of groups are independently validating each other's conclusions.
Typical article that tries to say something about nothing.
In essence, they can't prove that it exists, and have no positive evidence that it exists. All they are willing to say (but not willing to "bet the house on it") is that the particle, by theory, should exist in a space generated by the experimental capabilities of the two particle accelerators available to four different teams (two per device). The teams results, all pulled together, indicate that the particle is definitely NOT in the searches of regions of that space. They have extrapolated from their own search rate of that space to predict that the entire space will be covered competely by the end of 2012.
A multi-volume chronology and reference guide set detailing three years of the Mexican Drug War between 2010 and 2012.
Rantburg.com and borderlandbeat.com correspondent and author Chris Covert presents his first non-fiction work detailing
the drug and gang related violence in Mexico.
Chris gives us Mexican press dispatches of drug and gang war violence
over three years, presented in a multi volume set intended to chronicle the death, violence and mayhem which has
dominated Mexico for six years.