|Home Front: Politix|
|AOC says millennials like her believe 'the world is gonna end in 12 YEARS' if climate change is ignored|
|[Mail] Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said on Monday that ’the world is gonna end in 12 years’ if laws aren’t passed to address climate change and that it was ’immoral’ for billionaires to exist in the same country where people struggled to make ends meet.|
During an interview with journalist Ta-Nehisi Coates at Riverside Church in Manhattan on Monday, the New York Congresswoman said she and other millennials view climate change as ’our World War II’
Coates invited Ocasio-Cortez, the Democratic socialist, to the special forum honoring Martin Luther King Jr.
|Science & Technology|
|China confirms the birth of gene-edited babies and vows to punish scientist He Jiankui|
|[Mail] A Chinese investigation says the scientist behind the birth of two babies whose genes had been edited in hopes of making them resistant to the AIDS virus acted on his own 'for personal fame and profit' and will be punished for violating regulations.|
Confirming the births, the official Xinhua News Agency said Monday that investigators in the southern province of Guangdong determined Dr He Jiankui organised and handled funding for the experiment without outside assistance in violation of national guidelines. The university He worked for said he had been fired.
The scientist sparked global controversy in November when he announced in a YouTube video that he had successfully used a gene-editing technology known as CRISPR-Cas9 to alter the embryonic genes of twin girls born that month.
One of the mothers gave birth to twins nicknamed 'Lulu' and 'Nana', the investigators said. Another woman is still carrying a gene-edited fetus. The Xinhua report said all three would remain under observation.
|Unidentified gunmen shoot Iraqi civilian dead in Baghdad|
|Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) ‐ An Iraqi civilian was killed on Monday in an armed attack that was launched by unidentified in the capital Baghdad, a security source said.|
"Unknown attackers a civilian while passing by Abu Gharib district, west of Baghdad, leaving him dead," the source told al-Madar news website.
The source added that a security force sealed off the area and carried the body to the forensic medicine department.
|3 terrorists arrested over targeting citizens, security forces in Fallujah|
|Anbar (IraqiNews.com) ‐ Three were Monday on charges of targeting security forces and citizens in Anbar province, a security source was quoted as saying.|
"A security campaign was launched after receiving intelligence reports on the presence of three implicated in targeting security forces and citizens with explosive charges in al-Karma district, east of " Almaalomah news website quoted the source as saying.
"The were moved to a lock-up amid high security measures for interrogation," the source added.
|Kenya stops another suspected al Shabaab attack - police|
|[Jpost] Kenyan police have thwarted an attack by suspected Somali a on a Chinese-owned construction company in an eastern region, an official said on Monday, days after the Islamist group killed 21 people in Nairobi.|
The assailants one person while they attempted to hit the site in Garissa county, not far from the Kenyan-Somali border, owned by a Chinese road construction company that is building the Garissa-Modogashe highway.
"The attackers were repulsed since the security officers were very alert. There was exchange of fire before the attackers escaped," county police commander David Kerina told by phone, adding that the injured person was a watchman's wife.
"I believe the attackers, who were armed, might be Somali s. They fled, but we have intensified security operations. So far no arrest has been made."
Kerina give no more details about the attack or the site.
|North Korean base serves as missile headquarters, according to think tank|
|[Jpost] One of 20 undeclared ballistic missile operating bases in serves as a missile headquarters, according to a report by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) published on Monday. |
"The Sino-ri missile operating base and the Nodong missiles deployed at this location fit into North Korea's presumed nuclear military strategy by providing an operational-level nuclear or conventional first strike capability," said the report co-authored by analyst Victor Cha.
The discovery of an undeclared missile headquarters comes three days after U.S. President said he "looks forward" to another summit to discuss denuclearization with North Korean leader in late February.
Kim vowed to work toward denuclearization at his first summit with Trump in June, but there has since been little concrete progress.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
CSIS, which last reported on the 20 missile bases in November, said the Sino-ri base has never been declared by North Korea and as a result "does not appear to be the subject of denuclearization negotiations."
The report said that missile operating bases would presumably be subject to declaration, verification, and dismantlement in any nuclear deal.
"The North Koreans are not going to negotiate over things they don't disclose," said Cha.
"It looks like they're playing a game. They're still going to have all this operational capability," even if they destroy their disclosed nuclear sites.
Located 132 miles (212 km) north of the demilitarized zone, the Sino-ri complex is a seven-square-mile (18-square-km) base that plays a key role in developing ballistic missiles capable of reaching South Korea, Japan, and even the U.S. territory of Guam in the Western Pacific, the report said.
It houses a regiment-sized unit equipped with Nodong-1 medium-range ballistic missiles, the report added.
Satellite images of the base from Dec. 27, 2018 show an entrance to an underground bunker, reinforced shelters and a headquarters, the report said.
In South Korea, the Sino-ri facility has long been known as one of the bases housing the Nodong, also called the Rodong, a medium-range missile based on Soviet-era Scud technology that the North began deploying in the mid-1990s.
"It is a facility we've been monitoring with interest, in cooperation with the United States," Kim Joon-rak, a for South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff, told a news briefing on Tuesday.
|Germany bans Iranian airline that US says delivers arms and terrorists to Syria|
Germany has banned Iranian airline Mahan Air from its airports, in an escalation of sanctions adopted by the against Iran over attacks on opponents in the bloc. The US has accused Mahan of flying arms and to Syria.
on Monday quoted a German foreign ministry saying the ban on the airline takes immediate effect.
Mahan, Iran’s second-largest carrier after Iran Air, operates four flights a week between Tehran and the German cities Duesseldorf and Munich. It has been identified by Israeli defense officials as one of the cargo carriers suspected of ferrying war materiel from Iran to its proxy militias in Syria. As a result, it is subject to sanctions by the US Treasury Department.
A Mahan Air flight was en route to Syria on Sunday afternoon but turned back following reported Israeli strikes in and around the Syrian capital Damascus, according to flight data. The airline makes almost daily flights between Iran and Syria.
The EU earlier this month targeted sanctions at Iran’s security services and two of their leaders, accused of involvement in a series of murders and planned attacks against Tehran critics in the Netherlands, Denmark and .
Brussels’ measures included freezing funds and financial assets belonging to Iran’s intelligence ministry and individual officials, but did not target any companies.
By contrast Mahan Air was blacklisted by the US in 2011, as Washington said the carrier was providing technical and material support to an elite unit of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards known as the Quds Force.
The US treasury has threatened sanctions against countries and companies offering the airline’s 31 aircraft landing rights or services such as on-board dining.
German firms have come under especially intense pressure from American Ambassador Richard Grenell, a close ally of US President , over sanctions against Iran.
"Mahan Air has flown terrorists, weapons, equipment, and funds to international locations to support Iranian terrorist proxy groups," Grenell said in a statement quoted by . "Iran’s use of Mahan Air to support the Assad regime in Syria, for example, has contributed to incredible human suffering, violence, and political instability felt across the world."
Rail operator Deutsche Bahn, Deutsche Telekom, Mercedes-Benz parent Daimler and industrial group Siemens have all said they will stop their operations in the country.
Last week German authorities said they had a German-Afghan military adviser on suspicion of spying for Iran.
|Hamas claims to foil Israeli attempt to spy on one of its Gaza leaders|
|[IsraelTimes] Report says Paleostinian operatives a ’collaborator’ who planted spyware near the home of Qassam Brigades deputy chief|
Paleostinian operatives in the Strip have disassembled spyware equipment planted by a "collaborator" with Israel in a home adjacent to that of Marwan Issa, the deputy head of the group’s military wing, the pro-Hezbollah al-Akhbar newspaper reported on Monday, citing sources in terror groups in the coastal enclave.
The equipment was intended to capture audio emanating from Issa’s home in the Bureij refugee camp and subsequently transmit it to Israel, the sources told the paper, adding it was part of an attempt to circumvent a recent change in the leader’s use of communication devices.
The sources also said that s had arrested the Paleostinian "collaborator" who planted the equipment near Issa’s home, and later uncovered a wider network of spyware he had installed in other places in .
In early January, Iyad al-Bozm, the of the Hamas-run interior ministry, said security forces in arrested 45 "collaborators" with the Jewish state since an Israeli raid in the Strip went awry late last year.
|Jewish museum attack victims shot with 'surgical' precision|
|[PULSE.NG] Victims of the Jewish museum attack in Brussels were shot with "surgical" precision, first responders said Monday at the trial of French national Mehdi Nemmouche.|
Nemmouche, 33, the alleged jihadist gunman, faces life in prison if convicted of the charges of murdering four people during the anti-Semitic attack on May 24, 2014.
Paramedics who attended the scene told the Brussels criminal court they first found a man and women dead in the museum's entrance hall. Each had been shot in the head at point blank range.
Inside the museum reception they then found a third victim who was "unconscious and shaking violently" before sedating him in order to provide first aid.
The victim was a young man with "a bullet in the middle of the head", first responder Benoit Claessens said, pointing to the space between both eyes.
"This precision was surgical," Claessens told the court, as he struggled to maintain his composure.
Charlyne Lietard, a nurse in the same rescue team, echoed his comments.
"These are people who appear to have been executed, given the precision of the shots," Lietard told the court.
Both emergency workers described entering a "shocking" scene where it was stressful to work because they did not know whether the gunman was still present.
It was only later that witnesses said the gunman had fled, disappearing into the crowd outside, carrying the two dark bags he had arrived with.
The two bodies in the entrance hall were identified as Emmanuel Riva and his wife Miriam. The third victim was Alexandre Strens, 26, who died in hospital two weeks later.
Emergency workers later found a fourth body, that of French museum volunteer Dominique Sabrier, 60.
Nacer Bendrer, a 30-year-old fellow who allegedly supplied Nemmouche with the weapons, also faces life in prison if convicted of the same charge of terrorist murder.
Investigators said Nemmouche attacked the museum shortly after returning from Syria, where he had allegedly fought on behalf of jihadist groups.
Six days after the attack, Nemmouche was in the southern French port city of Marseille. Bendrer was arrested in Marseille in December 2014.
The trial is due to last until the end of February or early March. Both defendants were present in court on Monday, as they have been since the trial started on January 10.
|Venezuela's top court declares parliament leadership illegitmate|
|[PULSE.NG] The latest escalation in the power struggle between Maduro and the new president of the assembly, Juan Guaido, came on the same day as a brief military uprising in Caracas and amid opposition calls for mass protests on Wednesday.|
Supreme Court president Juan Jose Mendoza read a statement to the press declaring that the legislature "does not have a legitimate board of directors."
He charged that it was "usurping its authority, and therefore all its decisions are void."
Hours earlier, the government said it a group of mutinous soldiers who attacked a National Guard command center in Caracas.
The soldiers had managed to post a video on social media announcing their repudiation of Maduro's regime and calling on the public to take to the streets in support.
Guaido, on being sworn in as the assembly president earlier in the month, called on the military and the public to support a transitional government to restore democracy after declaring Maduro's presidency illegitimate.
Last week, the assembly formally declared Maduro a "usurper" and promised members of the military and civilian officials who break with his regime amnesty.
Maduro, a socialist, was sworn in to a second six year term January 10 amid criticism from his domestic opponents and international bodies such as the , Organization of American States and the United States.
Maduro's critics charge the May election he won was fraudulent.
The Supreme Court stripped the legislature of all its powers in 2017, soon after Maduro lost control of the National Assembly following parliamentary elections.
Although the opposition-controlled assembly continues to sit and make decisions, those are all annulled by the loyalist-dominated Supreme Court.
Guaido has announced a mass people's protest for Wednesday and admits that he needs both the public and military on his side to unseat Maduro.
|Solórzano demands respect for military detainees who rose in Cotiza|
|[ELUNIVERSAL] The vice president of the Human Rights Committee of Parliamentarians, Deputy Delsa Solórzano, demanded Monday "respect" for the officials of the Bolivarian National Guard (GNB) detained after expressing that they did not know Nicolás Maduro as president of the Republic.|
Through a message posted on her Twitter account, the parliamentarian called for "respect for life and due process, guarantees established in our Constitution" for detained officials.
In the early hours of this Monday, an irregular situation was presented in the Command of the Bolivarian National Guard (GNB) of Cotiza.
One of the rebel officials, identified as the sergeant major of tecera Valdren Figueroa, said that "they asked us to defend the Constitution and here we are with the troops."
After this pronouncement, statements were generated in Cotiza that were later dispersed with tear gas by members of the Special Actions Forces (FAES) and General Directorate of Military Counterintelligence (Dgcim).
At least 14 GNB troops were for this act after "stealing weapons from the detachment of Urban Security" in Petare and -according to statements by the president of the National Constituent Assembly (ANC), Diosdado Cabello-, "attempt to attack the peace through violent maneuvers aimed at generating anxiety in the Venezuelan people. "
|Warring parties sign ceasefire agreement in Libyan capital|
|[Libya Observer] Bani Walid social council brokered Monday at Bab Albahr Hotel a ceasefire agreement between Supreme Council of Reconciliation of and Tarhouna Elders Council to end in southern Tripoli.|
The signatories told s in a earlier that the agreement says an immediate ceasefire must take effect, and all fighting groups must withdraw 15 kilometers away from their current positions so that the area from Fam Mulgha checkpoint in Tarhouna to southern Tripoli is secured by security departments in each of the districts and towns.
"We disown all criminals and s who are wanted by both sides, we will exchange bodies and captives and resolve the displaced civilians' issues and then we will form a committee to oversee the ceasefire implementation." The agreement reads.
In the meantime, identical sources reported that during the ceasefire signing, there were in Souq al-Khamis Emsehel district and both parties exchanged accusations of violating the truce.
Fighting erupted last Wednesday in southern Tripoli after a similar one took the lives of over 100 people in last August and September.