|Aboud Rogo Mohammed||Aboud Rogo Mohammed||al-Qaeda||East/Subsaharan Africa||Kenyan||In Jug||20030624|
|accused of murder in the case of the 2002 suicide bombing of an Israeli-owned hotel in Mombasa.|
|Aboud Rogo Mohammed||al-Qaeda in Africa||Africa: East||20031129|
|Kenya charges Shabaab-linked radical preacher after riots|
|(Sh.M.Network)--A radical Kenyan preacher accused by the US of supporting Somalia's al Qaeda linked was Monday charged with inciting violent protests, after he surrendered claiming he feared for his life.|
Abubaker Shariff Ahmed handed himself over to a court in the port city of Mombasa after the there last week of fellow Aboud Rogo Mohammed by unknown sparked days of deadly rioting.
Ahmed, also known as Makaburi, pled not guilty to charges of encouraging that violence, which saw two days of running battles, with grenades hurled at two police trucks, killing three officers and wounding over a dozen others.
Like Ahmed, the murdered -- popularly known as Rogo -- was also on United States sanctions lists for allegedly supporting neighbouring Somalia's Shabaab, including by recruiting and fundraising for the group.
Following Rogo's murder, Ahmed is alleged to have called out from a mosque to supporters to target security officers and to torch churches in Mombasa, Kenya's main port and a key tourist town. He denies the charges. Rogo's supporters accused the security forces of murdering him, calling his death an "extra-judicial killing".
The police reject the claim and have appealed for help in hunting down those responsible. But Ahmed, speaking to Kenya's Daily Nation newspaper on Monday just before he handed himself in to the authorities, said he feared for his life.
"We are certain that there is a hit squad targeting s and other s perceived to be s," he told the newspaper. "They have accused us of terror but have refused to provide any evidence. Instead, they are now sending people to kill us," he added.
Ahmed, speaking through his lawyer Mbugua Mureithi, denied prosecution claims in court that he had been running from the police. "My client was not hiding as no police came for him there was no attempt by police to arrest my client," Mureithi told the court. He was remanded until September 5, when a bail hearing will be held.
Both Ahmed and Rogo had fiercely opposed Kenya's invasion of southern Somalia last year to attack Shabaab bases.
The US Treasury alleges that Ahmed is a "leading and recruiter of young Kenyan s for 'action' in Somalia," and was a "close associate" of the late Rogo.
He was placed on the US sanctions list in July of those "engaging in acts that directly or indirectly threaten the peace, security or stability of Somalia" and is accused of "mobilisation and management of funding for A " The US say he made "frequent trips to Al-Shabaab strongholds in Somalia", had "strong ties" with senior Shabaab leaders and is a "recruiter and " for the hardline fighters in Mombasa.
has called for a probe into Rogo's killing, noting it "follows the abductions and deaths earlier this year of several other people charged with recruitment and other offences related to the Shabaab."
|Chaos In Mombasa Over Rogo Murder|
|[Nairobi Star] ONE man died and several others Aboud Rogo Mohammed in Mombasa yesterday. The dead man, artisan Joseph Mureithi, was hit by a metal rod by rioting youths at Saba Saba near the Masjid Musa mosque where Rogo had set up his base. Four churches were vandalised - Neno Evangelist Centre, JCC at Buxton, PAG Ziwani, and another one. during riots sparked off by the shooting of controversial Islamic |
Rogo, his wife Khaniya Said Sagaar, his father Abdallah Ali, his five year old daughter Salha and a male relative were driving in a van from Kikambala towards town. Just before midday their vehicle was shot at by unknown people near the entrance to the Jomo Kenyatta Public Beach along the Mombasa-Malindi highway and very close to Bamburi .
A Star photographer was close to the scene of the killing. Aboud Rogo was driving and was shot at least 14 times in chest. He lost control of the vehicle which landed in a ditch. His wife was shot in the right leg and was writhing in pain. Their daughter wailed for her father as she tried to crawl to where her mother was lying.
Police arrived soon afterwards and sealed off the scene Rogo's wife refused any assistance from the police. "Ni nyinyi mapolisi mmemua. Hatutaki postmortem wala usaidizi wenyu ( It is you who have killed him! we don't want a post-mortem or any help from you)," screamed Khaniya.
Police said 15 gun shots were fired from close range at the driver's door. The bullets were 7.6mm calibre used by AK 47,said Mombasa DCIO Benedict Kigen. Members of s for Human Rights arrived within minutes, took Rogo's body and buried him at Kiziwi cemetery. They also took Khaniya to hospital for treatment of her gunshot wound. The vehicle was towed to the Bamburi .
Khaniya said her husband was taking her to hospital for a check up after she suffered a miscarriage two weeks ago. As the news spread, hundreds of youths took to the street and chaos broke out on Mombasa island including Posta, Kongowea, Majengo and Saba Saba. Angry youth carrying branches and stones vandalized bars, petrol stations and houses as they chanted Allahu Akbar.
The rioting youth broke into shops, looted property and beat up people.They pelted motorists with stones and lit bonfires using tyres and other debris. Riot police and the GSU were deployed to disperse the youth who spread out to Bamburi and Kisauni. At Mewa hospital where the injured were taken for treatment, a vehicle belonging to the Muhuri lobby group was pelted with stones by angry relatives and friends who thought it was carrying journalists.
Muhuri executive director Hussein Khalid said his two officers Topister Juma and Shirleen Njeri . "They thought my officers were members of the press. law prohibits an injured woman be photographed and that is why they chased them away," Khalid said. The police denied that they were responsible for Rogo's shooting.
Coast CID boss Ambrose Munyasia said they were treating the incident as a "shoot and run" incident. Unconfirmed sources said a fleeing man was near the Mombasa Polytechnic by flying squad officers. Earlier this year Rogo claimed that his life was in danger and his lawyer Mureithi Mbugua alleged that police had planted incriminating evidence to implicate his client.
In February, Rogo and Samir Khan were released on bond after being charged with being in possession of 102 bomb detonators, 3 guns and 119 bullets and had been released on bond. The case was to be heard on October 17 before principal magistrate K. Gacheru. Rogo also faced other cases in Nairobi including being a member of A . In 2005 he was acquitted of involvement in the 2002 Paradise Hotel, Kikambala in which 14 people died.
religious leaders yesterday condemned the killing and demanded that the police arrest those responsible. The Kenya National advisory council chairman Sheikh Juma Ngao said the police should also establish who murdered Samir Khan whose badly mutilated body was found dumped in Tsavo national park in April just hours after he was from a bus.
"Even if he had mistakes, the matter was in court. Even 's allies are being held at Guantanamo bay prison. There are laws in this country and that is the way to go," said Ngao. Sheikh Dor of the Council of Imams and Preachers of Kenya demanded that the police resolve the matter. "They should not take us round in circles this time like they did in the Samir Khan case," he said.
|Kenyan cleric shot dead, sparks riots in Mombasa|
|Hundreds of protesters smashed cars and torched churches in the Kenyan city of Mombasa on Monday after unknown gunmen shot dead a Muslim cleric accused by the United States of helping Islamist militants in Somalia.|
One protester was killed in the riots which erupted after Aboud Rogo Mohammed was shot on Monday, as youths from the port city's large Muslim population took to the streets complaining he had been deliberately targeted by police.
"It's an attack on Muslims, and we will not take it lightly," said Suleiman Atham, one of the protesters.
Deputy police chief Robert Kitur said Rogo - who faced terrorism charges over allegations he was recruiting non-Somali Africans for Somalia's al Shabaab militant group - was killed while driving in a private car.
"Unknown gunmen attacked his vehicle ... sprayed it with bullets and killed him on the spot," Kitur said. "They must have been targeting him, and must have been trailing him for a while."
In what police described as an act of impulse
|Mombasa bombing trial collapses|
|A Kenyan judge has thrown out charges against four men accused of murder in the case of the 2002 suicide bombing of an Israeli-owned hotel in Mombasa. High court justice John Osiemo said prosecutors had failed to prove that the men were connected to the attack. Correspondents say the trial was one of Kenya's first attempts to prosecute alleged terrorists. Fifteen people, including three Israeli tourists, died in the attack on the Paradise Hotel. |
The four suspects - Aboud Rogo Mohammed, Mohammed Kubwa, Omar Said Omar and Mohammed Ali Saleh Nabhan - are all Kenyans. Three other men are being tried concurrently for conspiracy to bomb the hotel. A judgement in the case is expected later this month. The four acquitted defendants left the courtroom to cries of "God is great".
Accused Mohammed Nabhan welcomed the verdict. "It's fair, I'm quite happy I'm back with my family, justice has been done," he told the Associated Press news agency. The prosecution had argued that the four men had links to known terrorists. It was claimed in court that some of them had family ties to al-Qaeda operatives. But the judge said the prosecution's evidence did not connect the accused to the bombing. Under Kenyan law, judges are allowed to acquit defendants if they find the prosecution case too weak to answer. "Since ... the suicide bombers ... perished during the attack, there is no evidence whatsoever to connect the accused to the murder of the deceased persons," Judge Osiemo said, quoted by AFP news agency. "The prosecution has not established a prima facie case against the accused persons as required in criminal law to require the court to put them on their defence."
Lawyers for the defendants said they planned to sue the government over their lengthy custody. The authorities have come under fire from human rights groups for delaying the proceedings and torturing suspects during the initial investigation. The government denies the allegations of torture.
Most of the Kenyans who died in the bombing were members of a local dance group who were welcoming hotel guests. A simultaneous rocket attack on an Israeli airliner that took off from Mombasa airport failed. A group linked to Osama Bin Laden's al-Qaeda network has claimed responsibility for the attacks, which dealt a severe blow to Kenya's once-thriving tourism industry.
|Judge frees 2 bombing suspects|
|A Kenyan high court judge on Friday ordered the release of two suspects charged with murder over last November’s bombing of an Israeli-owned hotel in Mombasa, a year to the day after the attack which killed 18 people. Justice Kaplana Rawal ordered the release of Faiz Abdalla Shariff and Mohamed Ali Hassan, two of nine suspects in the bombing who appeared in court on Friday, after the state prosecutor withdrew charges against them. "The proceedings of the hearings of this case have been terminated and the accused persons are free to go," Rawal said. "The attorney general has ruled that, after evaluating the evidence in totality and taking into account the fact that investigating terrorism takes a long time, and in view of the faceless nature of the people involved, it has been found necessary that the charges against the accused persons be withdrawn," Prosecutor John Gacivih said. |
|Four charged over Kenya bombing|
|A Kenyan court today charged four men with 13 counts of murder in connection with a terrorist attack that killed at least 10 Kenyans and three Israeli tourists. The suspects showed no emotion as the charges and names of the Kenyans and Israelis who were killed in the attack, on Mombasa airport on November 28 last year, were read out. The four Kenyans charged - Said Saggar Ahmed, Aboud Rogo Mohammed, Kubwa Mohamed and his son Mohamed Kubwa - were not asked to enter a plea because some prosecution documents were not prepared. In the November attack, assailants attempted to shoot down a chartered Israeli jet with shoulder-fired missiles as it was taking off from the airport at Mombasa. The missiles narrowly missed their intended target. Within a few minutes, suicide bombers blew up a car packed with explosives outside a beachfront hotel popular with Israelis. Ten Kenyans and three Israelis were killed along with as the bombers. At least three of the four suspects are allegedly connected to a man suspected of being Fazul Abdullah Mohammed, an alleged al-Qaida operative and prime suspect in the November attack, as well as the 1998 bombing of the US embassy in Nairobi. Both attacks have been blamed on al-Qaeda. Aboud Rogo Mohammed, an Islamic teacher, Kubwa Mohamed, a trader, and Mohamed Kubwa, a town councillor, were earlier this year charged with harbouring an illegal alien, known as Abdul Karim, who was thought to be Fazul Abdullah Mohammed. |
An Islamic teacher?? Say it ain't so, Mo
A family affair, how unusual
Investigators have told the Associated Press that both Mohamed Kubwa and Amina identified Abdul Karim as Fazul Abdullah Mohamed, a native of the Indian Ocean island nation of Comoros, who also has Kenyan citizenship. Abdul Karim's whereabouts are not know, but last month Kenyan authorities said they believed that Fazul Abdullah Mohammed - listed on the FBI's most wanted list - may have returned to Kenya from Somalia. The four men were charged amid renewed warnings of a terrorist attack in the East African nation, and pressure from US officials on Kenyan authorities to hunt down terrorists suspects. Somalia, a Muslim nation that has not had an effective government since its last president was ousted in 1991, is believed to be a transit point and staging ground for al-Qaida operatives working in eastern Africa. A US district court indicted Fazul Abdullah Mohammed in the 1998 US embassy bombings in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.