Archived material Access restricted Article

Today's Front Page   View All of Thu 10/21/2004 View Wed 10/20/2004 View Tue 10/19/2004 View Mon 10/18/2004 View Sun 10/17/2004 View Sat 10/16/2004 View Fri 10/15/2004
Personal Request for help for a Veteran needing VA compensation.
Archived material is restricted to Rantburg regulars and members. If you need access email with your nick to be added to the members list. There is no charge to join Rantburg as a member.
Posted by Ptah 2004-10-21 11:37:09 AM|| E-Mail|| Front Page|| [419 views since 2007-05-07]  Top

#1 Ptah, where is your father-in-law? Maybe someone out there knows someone local who can help him.
Posted by Desert Blondie 2004-10-21 12:20:21 PM||   2004-10-21 12:20:21 PM|| Front Page Top

#2 I know at least 15 arty guys - ALL of them required hearing aids. I don't think he should be having trouble getting the VA to take care of this - is he following the normal paperwork route for assistance?
Posted by .com 2004-10-21 12:23:19 PM||   2004-10-21 12:23:19 PM|| Front Page Top

#3 ...Ptah, my supervisor at work was an arty FO in Vietnam, and he's in the process of getting his disability app done up - let me ask him tonight if there's anything he can suggest.

Posted by Mike Kozlowski 2004-10-21 12:23:19 PM||   2004-10-21 12:23:19 PM|| Front Page Top

#4 Get in touch with the local VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars). They may have some good advice for him if they are an organized unit. I take it medicare want get him one?

Posted by Johnnie Bartlette 2004-10-21 12:28:02 PM||   2004-10-21 12:28:02 PM|| Front Page Top

#5 Ptah, There should be a Veterans Representative in your county that will walk you through the paperwork and bureaucracy. Usually they are located in the county administrative office. If you can’t locate or contact the one in your county, contact me via my email and I will track one down for you. I will need to know the city/county/state where you live, but I can find one very quickly.
Posted by Cyber Sarge  2004-10-21 12:43:36 PM||   2004-10-21 12:43:36 PM|| Front Page Top

#6 I assume your Father-In-Law has a congressional representative looking for election or re-election Nov. 2nd? Now is your time of maximum leverage
Posted by Frank G  2004-10-21 12:47:07 PM||   2004-10-21 12:47:07 PM|| Front Page Top

#7 Wow! Killer suggestions and info, guys - cool. Ptah, you've got the masters of veteran's affairs on the case, bro. Good luck and offer our best wishes to your father-in-law - he deserves the best of care and unending thanks - from every American.
Posted by .com 2004-10-21 12:51:40 PM||   2004-10-21 12:51:40 PM|| Front Page Top

#8 Prosthetic and Sensory Aid Services
VA will furnish needed prosthetic appliances,...

VA will provide hearing aids and eyeglasses to veterans who receive increased pension based on the need for regular aid and attendance or being permanently housebound, receive compensation for a service-connected disability or are former prisoners of war. Otherwise, hearing aids and eyeglasses will be provided only in special circumstances, and not for normally occurring hearing or vision loss. For additional information, contact the prosthetic representative at your local VA health care facility.

Documentation is the key to benefits.

Call 1-877-222-VETS (8387)
Posted by RN  2004-10-21 12:54:19 PM||   2004-10-21 12:54:19 PM|| Front Page Top

#9 A bit more comprehensive...I apologize for its length, but the info appears useful.

Are all veterans eligible for hearing aid benefits?Not all veterans are eligible for hearing aids. Veterans who enroll for VA medical benefits are placed in one of seven eligibility categories based on service-related disabilities, income level, and other factors. All veterans with a service-connected disability for hearing loss or ear-related diseases (including tinnitus) are eligible for hearing aid services. The following veterans are also eligible: all veterans who are 10% or more disabled for any conditon or combination of conditions, former prisoners of war, veterans of World War I and the Mexican Border Period, veterans receiving special pension benefits, and veterans in several other special categories. Veterans who are not otherwise eligible in the above categories are entitled to a hearing aid only if (1) their hearing loss results from another medical condition for which the veteran is being treated at a VA facility or results from the treatment of such condition (e.g. ear surgery) or (2) their hearing loss is sufficiently severe that a hearing aid is necessary to permit active participation in their own medical care.

How do I know who is eligible?
Veterans with service-connected disabilities receive an award letter. Veterans who are 10% or more disabled recieve monthly monetary benefits. Non service-connected veterans are eligible based on medical necessity. These veterans must be enrolled for VA health care and must be receiving their medical care from the VA to be eligible for special services such as hearing aids. Veterans should contact their local VA facility for assistance in enrollment. Each VA facility has an eligibility office to assist veterans. Veterans can also contact their local service organization for assistance. Veterans may obtain literature on benefits from the local VA Regional Office or from the VA Homepage at

What is the protocol for a veteran to enter the VA hearing aid system?
If a veteran has never used the VA before, he/she should take a copy of copy of his/her discharge papers (DD214) and a picture ID to the nearest VA facility. The enrollment process is similar to any hospital enrollment. If the patient is service-connected, he/she should bring the disability award letter. If you believe on the basis of the history that the hearing loss may be service-related (e.g. noise exposure in service), you should encourage the veteran to file a claim for disability through the nearest VA Regional Office. Establishing service-connected disbaility is a legal process requiring proof that the condition was caused or aggrevated by military service. Veterans are usually assigned to a Primary Care physician who oversees the patient's general health care needs. Most veterans are referred to Audiology, but some veterans (e.g. service-connected veterans) may obtain services directly from Audiology Clinics without medical referrals at some VA facilities. In those cases where eligibility is based on medical necessity, the audiologist determines if the patient will receive a hearing aid based on a needs assessment and local eligibility rules.

What types of instruments does the VA provide?
The VA issues over 160,000 hearing aids each year at cost of over $50 million. The VA purchases hearing aids on the commercial market according to negotiated contracts with hearing aid manufacturers. All types of hearing aids are available through contract or non-contract sources. ITE and BTE non-programmable and programmable analog hearing aids, special purpose hearing aids (CROS, BICROS), bone conduction, body, and eyeglass hearing aids are currently on contract. Digital hearing aids are not currently on contract but may be purchased for veterans when justified. Veterans are also entitled to spare hearing aids, a wide variety of assisitve listening devices, battery and repair services. Hearing aids and related services are free to veterans. For some veterans who have insurance, other than Medicare, the VA may bill the insurance carrier for some medical and audiological services. Some veterans may also be responsible for paying certain co-payments for pharmacy and medical services.

Dr. Dennis is Deputy Director of the National Audiology and Speech Pathology Service, Department of Veterans Affairs. The opinions stated herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the policies of the Department of Veterans Affairs. The information contained herein is not intended to be a complete or official statement of VA eligibility rules. Veterans seeking VA benefits are encouraged to contact the nearest VA facility for assistance.

Posted by RN  2004-10-21 1:05:29 PM||   2004-10-21 1:05:29 PM|| Front Page Top

#10 Wow! I kept checking "Short Term Attention Span" on Page 2, feeling that maybe it didn't make the cut, and here it is on page 1, with all the advice, knowledge, and wisdom that I knew stopped by Rantburg. God bless y'all, with special thanks to Steve and RN.

I have not gotten all the details from him on his attempts to get compensation for a hearing aid, but will be seeing him soon. After going through the conversation, it now seems that he just wrote a VA office and the person didn't really answer the question that really needed answering. He hasn't applied for financial compensation because he thought his condition, after he got out of the Marines, would improve, and he didn't want to take money that he thought should go to Vets more disabled and deserving than he. He's an active participant in the Atlanta VA chapter (Heck, he was the president during a recent financial crisis, and saved the chapter), but the chapter's priorities were focussed on mutual support and encouraging patriotism, but not much of a database for anything else.

The key, of course, as RN said, is documentation and following procedures. I'll grab what you posted, RN, and forward to him: its the most comprehensive thing on this issue that I've found, and I've been doing a lot of googling and coming up nearly dry. Also, it looks as if y'all have concluded that he needs to meet with a face rather than send letters. As luck would have it, the VA hosptial in Atlanta is a mile down the street, AND my Mother in Law works there as a volunteer. Thanks to y'all, I've got the title to give to him.

Again, God bless y'all. Now, if you'll excuse me, my contacts washed out of my eyes and I need to put them back in again...
Posted by Ptah  2004-10-21 1:36:12 PM|| []  2004-10-21 1:36:12 PM|| Front Page Top

#11 Semper Fi!
Posted by RN  2004-10-21 1:40:58 PM||   2004-10-21 1:40:58 PM|| Front Page Top

#12 My elderly father (WW2) has zero problem getting hearing aids from the VA. I've taken him to the VA medical facility for examinations etc. You might have to wait a few months for appointment but the VA medical system is good on this

I don't know why you use the word "compensation"? The VA dispenses hearing aids. They don't pay for you to visit a private hearing aid doctor.

Posted by dennisw 2004-10-21 1:59:54 PM||   2004-10-21 1:59:54 PM|| Front Page Top

#13 A couple of my old Vietnam buddies were at artillery firebases and now have VA supplied hearing aids. I'll ask them how to go about it.
Posted by Deacon Blues 2004-10-21 2:33:30 PM||   2004-10-21 2:33:30 PM|| Front Page Top

#14 If all else fails have him apply for the the Vocational Rehabilition Program this is for education but under this program you get 100% VA medical treatment. This program is for veterans with 20% or more rating. Also, if he has never had a VA evaluation have him get one done, any Veteran is entitled to an evaluation, if one has not been done. I'm putting this out so all Veterans no this. Last, the VA cannot by federal law deny medical treatment to any U.S. Veteran.
Posted by SGT. Rock  2004-10-21 2:50:42 PM|| []  2004-10-21 2:50:42 PM|| Front Page Top

#15 Ptah my Dad was in the 4th, Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo. Matter of fact he's just back from a small (and getting smaller) reunion in Baltimore. Has you Dad visited Lake City (FL)? Let me ask around.
Posted by Shipman 2004-10-21 3:57:11 PM||   2004-10-21 3:57:11 PM|| Front Page Top

#16 Check the American Legion reps as well as the VFW - I'm in both and they have peopel whose sole job is to cut thru the crap and get the vet his due.

Also talk to your local congressional representative (constituent service is a real political bonus for them), and both your Senators. May even talk to a local TV station troubleshooter type, or the local newspaper.
Posted by OIdSpook 2004-10-21 6:52:30 PM||   2004-10-21 6:52:30 PM|| Front Page Top

#17 Ptah - looks like the hearing aid issue is being taken care of so please extend my very best wishes and thanks to your FIL.

Semper Fi - Doc
Posted by Doc8404 2004-10-21 8:40:30 PM||   2004-10-21 8:40:30 PM|| Front Page Top

#18 The VA website: There is alot of info there.

The toll free number to contact VA is 1-800-827-1000. That # will put you in contact with a Veterans Service Representative at a regional office. You can make an appointment or just walk in and talk to a Rep. They will answer questions, explain the application process, and help fill out forms.

The hospital should also have people who can answer questions and help you apply. A county veterans service officer or any of the larger veterans organizations like VFW, American Legion, DAV, AmVets, VVA, PVA will also help.

Your father should definitely apply for compensation. He earned it. (He would have to anyway to get a service-connected disability rating.) Being service-connected would move him up the priority list at the VA hospital.
Posted by VA clerk 2004-10-21 9:23:36 PM||   2004-10-21 9:23:36 PM|| Front Page Top

#19 I saw my Father in law last night when my wife's parents came over to watch #2 son play football (we won, impressively). I've given him a printout of everyone's comments, and he sends back heartfelt thanks and a big "Semper Fi!".

Also, it seems that, since he had talked to me, he had sent a second, follow up letter, with some documentation, and got a phone call from the San Antonio office to look for a package of application forms. We shall see what happens, but he now has a definite person in mind to see. Sometimes, ya gotta be face to face to close a deal...

Shipman: If your father was at the Baltimore meeting, my FIL definitely met him because he was there too. We can exchange details by e-mail.

Again, a big thanks to everyone.
Posted by Ptah  2004-10-22 12:00:51 PM|| []  2004-10-22 12:00:51 PM|| Front Page Top

16:00 Crerert Ebbeting3481
17:02 Crerert Ebbeting3481
18:01 2b
12:17 Ptah
12:00 Ptah
10:55 Jules 187
10:49 Mrs. Davis
10:47 Jules 187
10:37 Frank G
10:33 lex
10:26 Jules 187
10:12 Mrs. Davis
10:05 Mrs. Davis
10:04 Frank G
09:59 lex
08:32 Tom
08:20 Frank G
06:51 Shipman
01:17 eLarson
00:54 Kalle (kafir forever)
00:52 Sock Puppet of Doom
00:50 Asedwich
00:20 Sock Puppet of Doom
00:18 Sock Puppet of Doom

Rantburg was assembled from recycled algorithms in the United States of America. No trees were destroyed in the production of this weblog. We did hurt some, though. Sorry.


Search WWW Search