Archived material is restricted to Rantburg regulars and members. If you need access email fred.pruitt=at=gmail.com with your nick to be added to the members list. There is no charge to join Rantburg as a member.
#1 So where is this thing going to end up? Seems like a generally handy doodad to have in the neighborhood if push comes to shove at some point in the future.
Posted by SteveS 2012-04-03 00:55||
#2 I would imagine the final location is a tightly held secret.
No doubt the NYT will tell everyone soon....
Posted by CrazyFool 2012-04-03 01:19||
#3 The South Pacific (In many small Pieces) is my guess.
Posted by Redneck Jim 2012-04-03 03:18||
#4 This thing is so cool. A giant radar unit that can just scoot around the seas to anywhere it's needed.
Where will it end up? Somewhere in the middle of the ocean, ringed by frigates and destroyers, and maybe a sub.
Posted by gromky 2012-04-03 04:29||
#5 "That is no moon island...".
Posted by CrazyFool 2012-04-03 08:42||
#6 Iff the USN can give Australia a Nuke Sub it can give 'em BMD-CAPABLE AEGIS CRUISER(S) as well - we know where the Ozzies/Aussies [Kiwis = New Zealand?] can get SEVEN of them. Ditto for the "WE WILL BUILD THE COSTLY QUEEN LIZ CVF IN ORDER TO MOTHBALL/SCRAP IT" Brit RN + NATO-EU.
* ION CHINESE MILITARY FORUM > [China Defense Mashup] US AMBASSADOR INDICATES SELLING NUCLEAR SUBMARINE TO AUSTRALIA FOR CONFRONTING CHINA.
* SAME > TAIWAN MAY FALL INTO DANGER BY CUTTING THE US NAVY.
CHINA + PLA, PLAN = enjoy Local/Area/Theater Superiority vee the USNavy-DOD which likely will still be charged wid protecting US, Allied security + interests on wide geographic fronts across the World despite risque' US budget cuts.
* SAME > US SEEKING TO CONTAIN CHINA IN PACIFIC BECOM AUSTRALIA'S DILEMMA.
ARTIC > PERT = opined that the US is changing its pervasive Cold War strategic posture to one of Pullback where it will focus or concentrate its MilFors per the security of vital but specific/selective Maritime Lanes.
* BHARAT RAKSHAK > PHILIPPINE GOVT. NOW BUILDING [mini] NAVAL BASE IN [PHIL-controlled] SPRATLYS FOR US TROOPS.
* RENSE > BUILDING NUCLEAR DRONES - COULD STAY ALOFT FOR MONTHS, at a time | [Guardian.UK] US DRAWS UP PLANS FOR NUCLEAR DRONES.
Nuke-Powered = potentially Nuke-Armed???
Posted by JosephMendiola 2012-04-03 21:49||