Five killed as bomb blast hits Lahores food street
At least five people were killed and 50 others, including women, were injured when an explosion occurred at an eatery situated in Old Anarkalis food street area of Lahore on Saturday, media reported. Police identified two of the dead as a six-year-old girl Sadia and a 20-year-old boy Fahad Tasleem, DawnNews reported. The condition of eight injured persons is said to be critical.
The Punjab capital had so far remained immune to the wave of bombings that has terrorised the three other provincial headquarters over the past four years. Television channels quoted the provincial police chief as having told his force to be on alert as more acts of terror could follow within 72 hours.
Preliminary police inquiries suggested that a time device had been placed between chairs near Bokhara Restaurant. It created a one-foot deep crater when it exploded.
Witnesses and police said the street was almost packed to capacity when the device went off. The diners started crying and running here and there in utter confusion.
The blast was so intense that it damaged some cars and motorcycles parked on nearby roads and also an electricity transformer. Some shops were also damaged.
It left tables, chairs and other articles of furniture scattered all over the place. Shopkeepers closed their shops soon after the blast. Policemen and officials of other law enforcement agencies in large numbers cordoned off the place and both ends of the food street. Footages from CCTVs installed at some shops were obtained by police to identify the culprits.
The blast occurred in a high security zone which is home to government offices, including the Central Police Office. An extensive search operation was conducted in the area a few days ago.
Posted by: Steve White 2013-07-08