PKK terrorists fire on Turkish military convoy despite cease-fire
Terrorists from the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) fired on a Turkish military convoy on Friday in the southeastern province of Mardin despite an eight-month cease-fire, Today`s Zaman reported. The attack is the biggest assault by PKK terrorists since March this year, when jailed PKK leader Abdullah Öcalan announced the cease-fire.
The Turkish army said in a statement that a group of terrorists ambushed a four-vehicle army convoy and two units of gendarmerie special forces near Eskihisar village in the Nusaybin district and fired 100-150 rounds of ammunition with automatic rifles.
|Terrorists are terrorists. The Turks should hunt down and extirpate the PKK...|
The statement added that one rocket propelled grenade was also fired from an RPG-7 launcher at an armored vehicle, but missed. The army said the troops immediately returned fire with automatic rifles in "legitimate defense." It said the terrorist fire stopped after the troops returned fire.
The statement said when the units returned to Üçköy Gendarmerie Command, inspections showed that two armored vehicles had been hit by 30 and 40 bullets each. The statement noted that no army personnel were injured in the incident.
The Turkish government has been holding talks with Öcalan as part of a settlement process launched October last year to find a peaceful and political solution to the decades-old Kurdish dispute and the armed conflict. Öcalan called on PKK militants to withdraw from Turkish soil to northern Iraq in a message on March 21.
Posted by: Steve White 2013-11-16