'Too stupid for sandwiches': NYT columnist mocked for writing about leaving gourmet sandwich shop with friend who has 'just a high school degree' because she felt overwhelmed by the fancy meats on the menu
- David Brooks made the comment in a piece titled, How We Are Ruining America
I suspect more a "how-to" than a series of observations.
- The 55-year-old writer was trying to discuss informal social barriers in society
- 'Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop,' he wrote, kicking off the awkward story
- He recounted how his friend was seeming put-off by item names on the menu
- 'I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican,' he wrote, wrapping up the strange anecdote
Posted by: Elmotle Phaiger6604 2017-07-13