Pedestrians hurt after car hits barriers at UK parliament
[Ynet] A man was arrested after a car collided with security barriers outside London's parliament building and a number of pedestrians were injured, police said on Tuesday.
Regards from Chen Keinan, EUropeans
Police 'don't believe suspect is known to counter-terror officers or MI5'
| Update at 7:25a.m. EDT: The Ynet article was updated from the Reuters feed at 13:24 Israel time, and has video of the miscreant’s arrest as he calmly left the vehicle. He appears to me to be a sub-Saharan African. The Telegraph has more photos and is liveblogging events Their latest post is time stamped 11:54 a.m.:|
Neil Basu, Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police and counter-terrorism head, is giving an update outside New Scotland Yard. He has said:
- One woman is being treated for serious but not life-threatening injuries. Another person has been discharged
- The arrested man is in his late 20s
- "Given that this appears to be a deliberate act, the method and the iconic site... this is being treated as a terrorist attack"
- No other suspects have been identified and there is “no intelligence at this time of further danger” to Londoners or the rest of the UK connected to this incident
- The vehicle is vehicle is being searched. No weapons have been found
- Police are seeking to identify the suspect and "his motivation if possible"
- Mr Basu added that the suspect was not co-operating with police and had not yet been formally identified
- But on the basis of the information known so far, "we don't believe this person is known to either MI5 or counter terrorism police," he added.
| Update from the Daily Mail at 7:10 p.m EDT: Driver named as Salih Khater, a resident of Birmingham from Sudan with British citizenship, known to the local police but not to MI5 or Scotland Yard.|
Posted by: g(r)omgoru 2018-08-14