You have commented 275 times on Rantburg.

Your Name
Your e-mail (optional)
Website (optional)
My Original Nic        Pic-a-Nic        Sorry. Comments have been closed on this article.
Bold Italic Underline Strike Bullet Blockquote Small Big Link Squish Foto Photo
Terror attack on Chinese Consulate in Karachi foiled; 2 policemen martyred
[Dawn] Two police officials have bit the dust in an exchange of fire near the Chinese Consulate in Bloody Karachi
...formerly the capital of Pakistain, now merely its most important port and financial center. It is among the largest cities in the world, with a population of 18 million, most of whom hate each other and many of whom are armed and dangerous...
's Clifton area, DawnNewsTV reported on Friday.

Deputy Inspector General (DIG) South Javed Alam Odho confirmed the death of the two coppers.

According to DawnNewsTV, the exchange of fire started around 9.30am. An kaboom, the nature of which has not been determined as yet, was also heard in the area.

One person, whose identity has not been ascertained, has also been admitted to the hospital at death's door, DawnNewsTV said.

Additional Inspector General of Police Dr Amir Ahmed Sheikh said that the firing has ended and the area is now being cleared by police and Rangers.

"I will be able to give you [the media] a clearer picture about what happened later in the day," AIG Sheikh said while acknowledging the efforts made by the law enforcement agencies in containing the attack.

"Police, rangers were all on duty when the attack happened. The attackers... weren't able to enter the Chinese embassy compound. Three were killed. A Bomb Disposal Squad team is checking the area for kabooms." the AIG said while reiterating that the details of the case will be shared with the media later in the day.

Defence contractor and analyst Ikram Sehgal ‐ whose guards have been posted at the consulate ‐ said that the attackers first exchanged fire with police.

"After the coppers were martyred, they proceeded towards the gate of the consulate. However,
a good lie finds more believers than a bad truth...
the guards quickly closed the gate, civilians with consular business were ushered inside and the Chinese staff were taken to a safe location," Seghal said while speaking to DawnNewsTV.

Shortly after the incident, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Wormtongue Qureshi condemned the incident and praised the way the attack was handled by the law enforcement agencies.

"This was a sad incident. The two hard boyz involved in the incident have been killed. We are in contact with the Chinese consul general," the foreign minister said.

He added: "Pakistain and China together will defeat the forces that wish to halt development [in the country]."

Governor Sindh Imran Ismail has taken notice of the incident and called for a report on the matter from the Sindh inspector general of police, DawnNewsTV said.

Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah has also taken notice of the incident. He contacted the Chinese consul general and assured him that the situation will be taken under control.

According to DawnNewsTV the area is considered a red zone and is already heavily guarded. The schools and eateries located in the area have been locked down until the area is cleared.

This is a developing story that is being updated as the situation evolves. Initial reports in the media can sometimes be inaccurate. We will strive to ensure timeliness and accuracy by relying on credible sources, such as concerned, qualified authorities and our staff news hounds.
Update at 1:30 a.m. ET:
Two coppers and a civilian bit the dust during an exchange of fire between security forces and the attackers. Three bad boyz were potted in the operation, according to Sindh Police and the army's media wing.

The heavily-guarded E-Street neighbourhood, which is considered a red zone, is home to a number of upscale restaurants, diplomatic missions and schools. The schools and eateries have been locked down until a clearance operation is concluded.
Posted by:trailing wife