Archived material is restricted to Rantburg regulars and members. If you need access email fred.pruitt=at=gmail.com with your nick to be added to the members list. There is no charge to join Rantburg as a member.
Most Perts expect Japan + SDF to prevail in a solely Conventional war wid China over the Senkakus/Daoyus - OTOH, China will prevail iff it decides to use its Nukes, either Tactically in-theater, andor Strategically [read, US mil intervention vee Japan, Sino-US nuclear escalation].
China's aim is to force open permanent + unchallenged PLA access thru the Oki-Taiwan-PHIL corridor = "DRAGON TRIANGLE" from East China Sea into WESTPAC. BY DEFINITION, THIS MEANS OR INFERS A SINO-JAPANESE WAR OER THE SENKKAUS/DIAYUS WILL ALSO BE WAR FOR TAIWAN, OKINAWA ARCHIPELAGO, + THE DIAOYUS. Prolly also safe to say ditto as per Okinoroti
/Okinotorishima + other islets, shoals towards the Marianas.
IMO the Russians are well-aware of the PLA strategic threat vee a Sino-Japanese conflict to the Sea of Okhostk + Russian Far East in general.
* See also WORLD NEWS > NORTH KOREA: HOSTILE US POLICIES MAKE KOREAS A HOTSPOT WHERE A SPARK COULD SET OFF NUCLEAR WAR | ... US WANTS TO OCCUPY ENTIRE KOREAN PENINUSLA AS STEPPINGSTONE TO DOMINATE ASIA.
* CHINESE MILITARY FORUM > CHINA VOWS TO UPHOLD "ZERO TOLERANCE" OF TOKYO'S PROVOCATIONS.
* DEFENCE.PK/FORUMS > JAPANESE PM NODA DECLARES JAPAN WILL NEVER COMPROMISE WID CHINA ON DIAOYUDAI.
* SAME > TAIWAN TO DEPLOY CANNONS, MORTARS ON TAIPING ISLAND [aka ITU ABA] IN SOUTH CHINA SEA.
* CHINA DAILY FORUM > DIAOYUS ISLANDS IN THE HANDS OF JAPAN IS PRECURSOR TO RETURN OF NIPPONESE MILITARISM. SSSSSHHHH - Nukulaar, that is.
RELATED SAME > POSTER = asks WHAT WOULD TAIWAN DO AS PER ITS SOVEREIGN INTERESTS IFF JAPAN VOLUNTARILY OR FORCIBLY RETURNS THE DIAOYUS TO MAINLAND CHINA, NOT TO TAIWAN?
* SAME > POSTER COMMENTARY: WORDS ARE SUPERFLUOUS, WAR IS THE ONLY [real/realistic?] OPTION FOR CHINA.
* SAME > [Philippines] LOCAL REDS [Commies = New People'S Army] TO FIGHT WITH PHILIPPINE FORCES AGZ CHINESE AGRESSION.
Despite the PHIL's admittedly lack of naval or air power, Filipinos say China would be making a serious mistake by underestimating their willingness of Filipinos to defend their land or to fight any invading Chinese forces on land.
* SAME, TOPIX > US OPEN TO HAVING TROOPS IN NEW ZEALAND, iff Kiwi Govt. formally approves of such.
* More from TOPIX > CHINA LINES AROUND ISLANDS SUGGEST MORE CONFLICT [wid Japan] AHEAD.
UNCLOS = EEZ Map Wars.
* SAME, WORLD NEWS > CHINA SPEEDS UP CONSTRUCTION IN NEW SANSHA CITY.
PERTS, BLOGGERS = collectively agree for most part that China's new Sansha/Sashi City in South China Sea means that China has effec annexed the SPRATLYS [Nanshas], PARACELS [Xishas] + Dongsha Islands in same.
China + PLA is also in the pole position to block or deny the world trade-vital Straits of Malaccas to any enemy(s).
* WORLD MILITARY FORUM > US MILITARY CONFIRMS DEPLOYMENT OF TWO USN AIRCRAFT CARRIERS + ESCORT BATTLE GROUPS AND ONE US MARINE AIR-GROUND TASK FORCE TO EAST CHINA SEA.
US PCORRECTNESS = the USS STENNIS CVBG is ostensibly headed for the Persian Gulf - its just a weird-n-mysterious coincidence that its route take it by the East China Sea.
Looks like USS "HOLY GEORGE" USS "GW" CVBG may once again stare down the throat of the DPRK's = China's nuclear missle wrath???
On another note, the deployment of these naval assets should show Post-US, future World #1/Global El Supremo wannabe China why it needs similar capabilities to be what it wants to be.
* SAME > NUCLEAR WAR TO SAVE RUSSIA? SCHOLARS: SINO-JAPANESE CONVENTIONAL WAR OVER THE DAOYU ISLANDS MAY EXPAND TO THREATEN SAKHALIN + RUSSIAN FAR EAST. CHINESE GROUND INVASION OF JAPAN FROM SAKHALIN TO PACIFY STUBBORN JAPAN.
* WAFF > [StrategyPage] CHINA + JAPAN TALK WAR.
ARTIC = ...
- A MAJOR East Asian War, includ but not limited to China-vs-Japan War oer Diaoyus/Senkakus, could put the World in SUSTAINED ECON DEPRESSION.
- North Korea likely to exploit the situation and use it as a cover or excuse to attack SOuth Korea.
Posted by JosephMendiola 2012-10-03 01:14||
#2 So Long, and Thanks for All the Kimchi
Posted by Procopius2k 2012-10-03 08:32||
#3 No 'capitalist running dogs' or 'Sea of Fire'TM? This new guy sucks...
Posted by Raj 2012-10-03 09:45||
#4 blah blah blah. it really looks like the Iranians pay the N. Koreans to stir up trouble with America - when the timing is right.
Posted by Raider 2012-10-03 11:10||
#5 Only for about 60 years.
Posted by JohnQC 2012-10-03 12:25||
#6 Well, maybe only since the Norks have had a nuke.
Posted by JohnQC 2012-10-03 12:33||
#7 North Korea remind me of Pakistan both bitter failed states jealous of their successful neighbours!
Posted by Jack Gonque5772 2012-10-03 13:12||