Archived material is restricted to Rantburg regulars and members. If you need access email fred.pruitt=at=gmail.com with your nick to be added to the members list. There is no charge to join Rantburg as a member.
#1 The number of Marines coming to Guam is back up to 5000, up from 4000 + 4700 but below the original 8000+, but AFAIK its not clear iff these 5000 Marines is final vee final Congressional approval, iff these 5000 will be permanently-based on Guam only or Guam-CNMI Tinian], or will 60% [3,500] of same be on "rotational" training or TDY i.e. only 1500 will be locally based. AS INDIC PREVIOLSUY, JAPAN REPOR WOULD LIKE TO BASE + ROTATIONALLY DEPLOY SDF UNITS TO TINIAN FOR TRAINING.
A recent Guam-visiting CODEL comprised of Senators McCain, Cark Levin, + Jim Webb has vowed the Marine Relocation includ Guam Buildup will not occur until the US Congress first sees reliable Costs Datas + Analyses.
* ION DEFENCE.PK/FORUMS > USAF DRILLS A PRACTICE FOR MAINLAND CHINA BOMBING RUN? |USAF EXERCISE EYES CHINA AS ADVERSARY.
Operation "Chichimanga" LR AIREX.
* INDIAN DEFENCE FORUM > MANTHORPE: JAPAN BOOSTS DEENCES OF OUTER ISLANDS TO DETER CHINA.
Big 4 + 100 other islands or islets in East China Sea, POTENTIAL FOR INTENSIVE SINO-NIPPON RIVALRY + ULTIMATELY EVEN MILITARY CONFLICT.
* SAME > CHINA DEMANDS EVERYTHING, in South China Sea i.e. disputed Islands + espec resources-rich UW seafloors underneath, around same.
* WORLD MIL FORUM > JAPAN PUSHES UN FOR QUICK RECOGNITION OF ITS "SOLE/UNILATERAL" SOVEREIGNTY OVER MORE THAN 310,000 SQUARE KILOMETERS OF UNDERWATER CONTINENTAL SHELF.
* SAME > MANY ORDINARY/MAINSTREAM JAPANESE BEGIN SENDING MONETARY DONATIONS TO TOKYO GOVERNOR SHINATARO ISHIHARA IN SUPPORT OF PROPOSED DAOYUS ISLANDS BUYOUT SCHEME, by Tokyo from JAPANESE Owners.
Posted by JosephMendiola 2012-04-28 00:49||
#2 I would sympathize more with the Japanese position on Okinawa if it wasn't for the fact that US troops wouldn't be there at all if Japan had not chosen war as their remedy.
In today's context, Japan uses the US as a shield against the Norks and the Chicoms. Would Japan really be better off if the US simply pulled out and took its nuclear shield with it? If not, then put up with some inconvenience and stop whining.
Posted by Mike Ramsey 2012-04-28 08:05||
#3 Panetta the DoD hatchet man simply doing his job.
Posted by Besoeker 2012-04-28 08:11||
#4 I sure hope Guam does not tip over.
Posted by newc 2012-04-28 09:11||
#5 Tipping point for the Guam economy.
Posted by Bright Pebbles 2012-04-28 09:13||
#6 A 'shell game' with the end-state being troop reductions across the board. Troops are volunteers, generally staunch patriots, and pubs. We don't need people like that any longer. All Star Ship Troopers will be hand picked in the Obomatomorrow.
Posted by Besoeker 2012-04-28 09:19||